The home page is the starting point of a website. To structure a home page well, consider the below points:
- About 53% of worldwide internet usage is via a mobile phone. These numbers are quite similar in Malaysia.
- According to this Hubspot article, 55% of visitors spend fewer than 15 seconds on a website. That means about half the people will leave after a few glances of the home page.
Concise, Precise, and Decisive
This should make you consider carefully how you should structure your home page. It needs to be concise, precise, and decisive.
A good home page is concise, precise, and decisive.Mustard Tree Technologies
Think of a website home page is like a flyer. It has to grab the attention of the person to want to find out more. Here are some suggestions:
- Concise – The crux of your message must be understood in 30 seconds or less. Most flyers are now either A5 or A6 in size. Likewise, most websites are now viewed using a mobile phone. These devices are not ideal for reading long-form materials.
- Precise – The 2 seconds punchline proposition must stand out above all other content at the top. It has to be attention-grabbing. It must compel the visitor to want to find out more.
- Decisive – There must be an easy Call-To-Action from the visitor. You must solicit a response.
Eisenhower Decision Matrix
So this begs the question, how do you derive the Concise content?
The Eisenhower Decision Matrix is often used for prioritizing tasks but it is also applicable in our context.
Transform the ONE most important and most urgent information into a tagline. That has to be your core message.
Show all the important information on the home page. Keep it concise and if possible, illustrate it visually. You need to keep it within 30 seconds of reading.
Of course, don’t forget your Call-To-Action. You always want some response from your visitors.